september 14, 2020

Gallagher And Lyle - Breakaway (1976) - €4,99

Gallagher and Lyle were a Scottish musical duo, comprising singer-songwriters Benny Gallagher and Graham Lyle. Their style consisted mainly in pop, soft and folk rock oriented songs.

Breakaway is the fifth studio album by Scottish duo Gallagher and Lyle. The title track became a hit for Art Garfunkel, and "I Wanna Stay with You" was a U.S. Pop hit. A second hit from the album, "Heart on My Sleeve," also charted in both Canada and the U.S.
Gallagher & Lyle, previously members of McGuinness Flint released a decent album here. "Breakaway" (covered by Art Garfunkel) is a catchy song. "Stay Young" and "Fifteen Summers" are 2 very beautiful folk songs. Sometimes they sound like Simon & Garfunkel.
"Heart on my sleeve" is another hidden gem with a different accompaniment with accordion behind.
The rest, mostly faster songs is somewhat lesser and sounds more country-pop. "I Wanna Stay With You" is the weakest song of them.
Gallagher and Lyle have a very 'easy' style. Their music is slightly progressive 70's folk. Yet there are some surprises on here. If I needed someone and Storm in my soul are fine sought of tropical-flavoured pop that you might have found on a Ringo Starr album from the time, and I wanna stay with you is a disco song. But the reason I bought this album was for 'Heart on my sleeve', a song that I first heard Ringo Starr do. It's a fine folk-pop song and this version adds an accordion to the mix. Fifteen summers is a nice folk song. It's an easy-going sought of album,


Side A
A1. Breakaway - 4:05
A2. Stay Young - 3:40
A3. I Wanna Stay With You - 3:00
A4. Heart On My Sleeve (Vocals [Additional] Andy Fairweather Low) - 3:24
A5. Fifteen Summers - 4:08

Side B
B1. Sign Of The Times - 3:45
B2. If I Need Someone (Vocals [Additional]  Andy Fairweather Low - 4:29
B3. Storm In My Soul (Vocals [Additional]  Andy Fairweather Low - 2:22
B4. Rockwriter - 3:07
B5. Northern Girl - 2:51


Companies, etc.

Personnel
  • Andy Fairweather Low - additional vocals on "Heart on My Sleeve", "If I Needed Someone" and "Storm in My Soul"
  • Ray Duffy – drums
  • Geoff Emerick – engineer
  • Benny Gallagher – vocals, keyboards, guitar, accordion
  • Alan Hornall – bass
  • Jimmy Jewell – saxophone
  • Billy Livsey – keyboards
  • Graham Lyle – vocals, guitar, mandolin
  • John Mumford – trombone, euphonium, timbales
  • Brian Rogers - string arrangements
  • Gered Mankowitz - photography

Notes
Release: 1976
Format: LP
Genre: Pop
Label: A&M Records
Catalog# SP-4566
Prijs: €4,99

Vinyl:  VG
Cover:  Rechtsboven kleine beschadiging


0 comments:

Een reactie posten